Thursday 9 February 2012

Pheeble-minded Pharmacy Assistant

It's been way more than 6 months, so I'll make my come back with a short one. I'm still very busy!


One afternoon, a woman comes into the pharmacy and hands the assistant a prescription. "I'd like the genetic brand please," She stated.

Now, if you know what the word 'genetic' means, you'll know that it has very little to do with medicine:

GENETIC: of or relating to genetics, genes, or the origin of something
GENE: A segment of DNA, occupying a specific place on a chromosome, that is the basic unit of heredity.

What her intended word was, although she didn't know it, is the word, generic.

GENERIC: 1. applicable or referring to a whole class or group; general
3. denoting the nonproprietary name of a drug, food product, etc.

Hearing the word 'genetic' being used instead of the word 'generic' is a daily occurrence in the pharmacy, so the pharmacy assistant and I just carried on our business, understanding what the lady meant.

Once the prescription was finished, I counselled the lady as usual, and upon finishing she said, "I'd like to give you my resume as I'm looking for a job in pharmacy."

My reply, "ah, yeah ok."

As she left the pharmacy, her resume was filed into the 'out' tray (the bin).

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how many applications people drop off because they think they'll spend all day standing behind a counter watching you do all of the work. If people only knew how much work it takes to operate a pharmacy and the schedule it entails, they would think twice before applying for such an easy job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..

    ReplyDelete