Wednesday 24 October 2012

Phorklift Phuss

Wow, Been a while... Here's another small one:

In one Pharmacy I worked in near an industrial area, one gentleman came in regularly to buy Ventolin - more often than he should be really. I always asked him the necessary questions and he always gave the correct answers.

One day, when I knew he had been in less than three days before, I decided to confront him with a more aggressive approach. "You've been buying Ventolin a little too often. Are you needing to use it more than 3 times per week? How are you using it?"

"Yeah, I came in a few days ago but I don't need to use it that often." He responded. "I keep the inhaler in my pocket while I'm working in my forklift, it can get a little dusty at times. I don't realise they keep dropping out of my pocket until I hear a, 'BOOF!' That's when I realise I've run over it... again!"

To put it simply, Ventolin is an asthma inhaler with a pressurised canister. The 'BOOF,' sound the client explains hearing is the explosion of the canister and the sudden release of the pressurised contents. Think of your deodorant spray can exploding - although the Ventolin canister is about one tenth the size.

No comments:

Post a Comment